While some men have plenty of style, others come up short in this department. Heck, even if you know what you are doing in terms of you wardrobe there may come times when you have trouble matching your shirt with your tie.
As complicated as this may be, especially if you are in a rush, there are things you can to do ensure that you don’t make a mistake. After all, the last thing you want is to show up at the office mismatched and looking your worst.
Before we go any further, there is one tip that can greatly help you match your shirt with your tie: be sure to have plenty of selections in your collection. In other words, the more shirts and ties you have the easier it becomes to make a match every time you get dressed.
Five Steps for Success
As tempting as it may be to take your best guess and hope that things work out, you don’t have to subject yourself to this risk. Instead, you can rely on the five steps below:
1. A white shirt makes everything easier. Are you unsure of what colour shirt and tie to wear? If so, you can take a lot of the guesswork out of the process by opting for a white shirt. When you do this, you can then wear pretty much any colour tie. In other words, a white shirt is like a blank canvas.
2. Match complimentary colours. This may sound like a challenge, but don’t shy away from this. Here are just a few of the most popular colour combinations: black shirt with a red tie, red shirt with a blue tie, and blue shirt with a yellow tie.
Think back to your early days of school. Do you remember the colour wheel from art class? If so, this will give you a good idea of which colours to pair with each other.
3. Stripes of different sizes look good. Believe it or not, some people shy away from buying a shirt or tie with stripes because they worry about whether or not it will match. While you can always wear a striped tie with a plain shirt, this doesn’t have to be your only option. Have you given any thought to pairing a striped shirt with a striped tie? The key to pulling this off is making sure that the stripes are different sizes. When you pair the same size, you may be disappointed with the end result because it can appear repetitive. When you do this the right way, you will end up with a smart and sophisticated look.
4. Match complimentary patterns. Is this advanced for some? It sure is. Does it mean you should stay away from doing this? Definitely not. You can match complimentary patterns if you are willing to experiment with many options. For instance, you could pair a white shirt with blue stripes with a checkered tie that has blue in it. The key here is making sure that the secondary colour in the shirt matches one of the colours in the tie.
5. Put it on and take it off. As you stare at your many options, your mind will be racing. Are you going to opt for something simple? Will you decide to go all out and take a risk? Before you walk out the door, the best thing you can do is put the shirt and tie on and look at yourself in the mirror. If you like what you see, you can proceed with the rest of your routine. On the other hand, if something is off and you are worried that your shirt and tie don’t match, make a change. You may be able to keep your shirt on, you just have to experiment with different ties.
Many men take the easy way out, always matching a plain shirt with a solid colour tie. This can definitely look good, but it is not your only option. If you are stopping short of trying new things with your style because you are unsure of the end result, the five steps above will point you in the right direction.
Remember, the more combinations you try the more comfortable you are going to become with mixing things up. Soon enough, you will have a clear understanding of what matches and what looks good on you. From there, as you add to your shirt and tie collection you can make choices that will allow you to show off your style in the future.
Your shirt and tie says a lot about you. As you try more and more combinations, you will find that there are many ways to express yourself.